воскресенье

[Bug 2063983] Re: 24.04 Upgrade/Fresh Install results in black screen on reboot on AMDGPU system

I forgot to mention in my summary that I could not duplicate any of the
issues I was having when I swapped out the Radeon 6800XT for a GeForce
1070 in my Desktop and repeated the process of doing a full wipe and
reinstall of 24.04. I plan to repeat these steps with my current
configuration (Ryzen CPU and 6800XT GPU) after swapping out the SSD so I
can collect logs as requested of me in #ubuntu on Libera.

--
You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to linux
in Ubuntu.
Matching subscriptions: Bgg, Bmail, Nb
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2063983

Title:
24.04 Upgrade/Fresh Install results in black screen on reboot on
AMDGPU system

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
Confirmed

Bug description:
Config: Ryzen 5 5600X with Radeon 6800 XT GPU, a Navi21 card.

Using xUbuntu.

I had been daily driving the 24.04 nightly iso since March. About a
week ago, I took a kernel update via apt and rebooted. The result was
that the system would hard freeze to a black screen after the initial
kernel messages cleared from the screen. Ctrl-Alt-Del did nothing,
switching terminals (ctrl-alt-f#) did nothing, had to hard power off
to regain control of the system.

I tried various fixes, none of which permanently stuck. This includes
nomodeset in grub, rebooting into safe mode, checking for proprietary
drivers. Safe mode allowed me to reboot once more into desktop, but
then any subsequent reboots would result in a black screen lockup.

Suspending while able to use the desktop before reboot would cause a
black screen lockup did not seem to cause any issues.

3 days before 24.04 was officially released, I reflashed the most
recent installer iso to my thumbdrive, copied my home folder to my
RAID and did a full wipe and fresh install.

First reboot after installation always went to the desktop. Subsequent
reboots always resulted in a black screen lockup.

Memtest cleared without errors.

Again tried various fixes, nomodeset, safe mode, drivers. The only
consistency was that regardless of what I could do to regain control
or what I did differently when doing a wipe and reinstall, I would
always reboot to a black screen.

Once 24.04 was officially released, I again did a full wipe and
reinstall and encountered all of the above same issues as before.

After mentioning this in #ubuntu on libera, someone suggested a kernel
downgrade.

24.04 as installed was using 6.8.0-31.31

Using Mainline, I downgraded to the next minor version below 6.8 that
was considered stable. 6.7.10

Problem went away. No more black screen on boot, no more hard power
offs required to be able to use my system again, no suspend issues.
Was not necessary for me to do anything else to maintain a consistent
successful reboot to desktop.

Did yet another full wipe and fresh install of 24.04, only installing
Mainline upon first reboot to install 6.7.10, using Grub Customizer to
edit the default grub option to boot the 6.7.10 kernel instead.

No issues.

I apologise that I did not collect logs during this process.

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/2063983/+subscriptions

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий